Just Don’t Do It!
It’s that scary time of year again. Yup. Football season! You are going to be watching TV or at a stadium and “surprise!” you will be screaming again. Your significant other will punch you in the ribs and tell you that you just blew out their eardrum, and that’s bad enough. But the worst part is that you will blow out your voice. What to do?
Here are some suggestions to save your voice while still being a great fan:
1. A surefire cure is to only go to games where you don’t care who wins.
2. Don’t do it. Say to yourself, “We are going to jump up and down and wave our arms instead of screaming.” Then do that.
3. If you do get carried away, stop after one scream. Catch yourself before you do further damage. Bring on the duct tape if you have to.
4. If you DO wreak havoc on your vocal folds, dump out your coke and go for the hot tea or coffee. Get some healing going immediately.
5. Finally, if you are still allowed in bed after that outburst, be quiet and get some rest. Your voice will thank you for it.
For more on what’s scary, please see my brilliant Halloween post, “3 Steps to Create a Voice for Your Costume and Be a Better Speaker, Too. I love this one!